Lesson – The power of positive thinking and hope
Dumbledore – “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times…”
Often in life we are faced with a choice, to be positive or to be negative, to be grateful or to complain, to look for a solution or to give up. It is always better to try to see the good in a situation or to turn it into one, no matter how hard or pointless it may seem. The conscious choice to be positive will always pay off more in the long run than simply being negative.
Positive thinking is known to have a whole host of benefits including:
Source – http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/positive-thinking/art-20043950
Using talk therapies such as CBT or DBT you can learn to change your thought patterns and develop a more positive mindset.
Another way of looking at this is summed up in the following quote:
It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness
Finally, here’s a great article on 11 steps to staying positive. Here’s a summary of the points, but check out the link to see a detailed explanation on each point:
1) Find the optimistic viewpoint in a negative situation.
2) Cultivate and live in a positive environment.
3) Go slowly.
4) Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.
5) Don’t let vague fears hold you back from doing what you want.
6) Add value and positivity to someone else’s life.
7) Exercise regularly and eat and sleep well.
8) Learn to take criticism in a healthy way.
9) If something still gets under your skin then know what to do.
10) Start your day in a positive way.
11) Mindfully move through your day.